2 tablespoons butter
1 medium onion, finely chopped, about 1/2 cup
3 cups vegetable broth
1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin
1 1/2 cups skim milk
2 tablespoons prepared polenta, creamy
1 tablespoon honey
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4-1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 pinch salt and pepper
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat.
- Cook chopped onions until soft and golden brown.
- Heat the broth in a good-sized pot, add pumpkin slowly, and bring to a partial boil.
- Stir in onions, milk, polenta, honey, cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, salt, and pepper (pressed garlic might be suitable at this time).
- Make sure that the ingredients do not clump but are spread throughout the soup.
- Cook for about 5 minutes or longer until all ingredients have been thoroughly mixed and dissolved and so the soup is thoroughly heated.
- If at this point it seems chunkier or thicker than desired; use an immersion blender or a regular one to liquefy the soup and blend in the onions.
- Serve warm with pieces of bread if desired